I’m a Percy Jackson fan. I’ve read and reread Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, as well as the Heroes of Olympus series. I’ve committed much of it to memory, especially the dam funny jokes (I also love the Kane Chronicles, and Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series, but my first love was Percy Jackson and the Olympians).
One pattern all PJO fans love about the first series is the Jackson’s love of blue food: Blue saltwater taffy, blue jellybeans, blue waffles, blue sour worms, blue pie, blue cake, blue corn chips, you name it. The most iconic of them all, however, is Sally’s blue chocolate chip cookies. These beautiful morsels are a taste of home and Percy’s #1 comfort food.
“It was chocolate chip cookies…. And not just any cookies — my mom’s homemade blue chocolate chip cookies, buttery and hot, with the chips still melting…. I felt as if my mom had just brushed her hand against my cheek, given me a cookie the way she used to when I was small, and told me everything was going to be okay” (The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, p 60).
I decided to try my hand at Sally Jackson’s baking magic by taking an old sugar cookie recipe I found on the internet and transforming it into something Percy would kill a draken for. It turned out pretty well, even though my hands turned blue:
- 1c sugar
- 1c butter (2 sticks)
- 2 eggs
- 2tsp baking powder
- 3c flour
- Chocolate chips (to taste)
- Blue food coloring (gel)
- Cream sugar and butter, whisk in eggs and baking powder.
- Slowly mix in flour until dough forms.
- Chill dough in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Add blue food coloring gel to dough and knead on clean surface until well combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips to preference
- Form dough into balls about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and sprinkle 3-4 chocolate chips across each cookie dough ball.
- Cook in oven for 20-22 minutes
- Let cool, then serve on large platter.
These cookies start out vibrantly and then fade away as they bake, as seen below:
And after baking:
These are very easy to make and taste amazing. Have fun baking blue!